Monday, November 11, 2013

Pumpkin Tart (vegan and GF)

Crust recipe from:  http://tasty-yummies.com

Filling recipe from:  http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com

This is my second attempt at a pumpkin dessert in the last few weeks (see my initial post on this blog).  The crust recipe suggest making a tart, so I thought I would give it a shot.  The filling recipe was deemed "healthy" and all you had to do was throw everything into a blender. 

This filling recipe made way more than I needed for a 9" tart (it was intended for a 10" pie), so I threw the extra into a few ramekins and baked them as well.  Pumpkin custard!  Alternatively, you could make two of these tart shells and fill them both with one batch of filling.

I think this tart is the best pumpkin dessert I have made so far.  Perfect for any Thanksgiving feast.

UPDATE:  Jeff just tried the tart this evening and said it was the best pumpkin pie he has ever had.  I would call that a success!!!

Crust recipe:

2.5 cups almond flour (aka almond meal)
3 tablespoons flax seed meal
3 tablespoons maple syrup
1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt

Preheat the oven to 375º F. Lightly grease a 9 or 10-inch tart pan. In a large bowl, add all of the crust ingredients and mix very well. I like to get my hands right in there to make certain it is all mixed up. Add the crust mixture to the tart pan and press down firmly into the pan, going up the sides just a tad bit. Bake for 10-15 minutes until golden brown. Remove from the oven and set aside.



Filling recipe:

1 can (15oz) pumpkin or sweet potato puree
1 (13.5oz) can full-fat coconut milk
1/4 cup rolled oats (20g)
2 tbsp ground flax
1/3 cup coconut sugar or brown sugar (I used brown sugar)
pinch pure stevia, or 2 tbsp extra brown sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp pure vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 400F. Blend all ingredients together until smooth, then pour into a prepared pie crust (such as the recipe below) in a 10-inch round pan (or in this case, the par baked tart crust from above).  Bake 27 minutes (I baked a little longer, maybe 35 minutes), let cool, then refrigerate at least 5 hours uncovered for the pie to thicken and “set.”



No comments:

Post a Comment