Saturday, November 9, 2013

Chocolate Glazed Donuts (vegan, GF)

This recipe is from http://happyherbivore.com

In my youth, we used to go to Dunkin Donuts.  My favorite donut was the glazed chocolate cake donut.  So good.  When I saw this recipe from Happy Herbivore, I had to try it.  I decided to make this last night after drinking a bit too much wine at a friend's party.  They are easy to make and easy to eat.  I changed up the recipe a bit to make them GF.  Great with a cup of coffee in the morning.

NOTE:  I don't recommend putting the glazed donuts into a Tupperware for storage.  I put them in a tupperware in the evening, and by morning the glaze was all soaked into the donuts.  I think your best bet is glazing the donuts near the time you want to serve them and leaving them open to air.  I may make another batch this weekend.  I will let you know how it goes.






Donut ingredients:
  • 1 cup plant-based milk (I used almond)
  • 1 tsp lemon juice
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 3 tbsp pure maple syrup
  • ¼ cup light brown sugar
  • 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour (I used GF flour blend plus 1 tsp xanthan gum)                   
  • ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa
  • ½ tsp salt
  • ½ tsp baking powder
  • ½ tsp baking soda
  • ¼ cup vegan chocolate chips                    
Glaze ingredients:
  • 1 cup confectioners sugar
  • 1 tbsp pure maple syrup
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 tbsp plant-based milk
Preheat oven to 350F.
In a small bowl, whisk 1 cup non-dairy milk, lemon juice, 3 tbsp maple, light brown sugar & 1-2 tsp vanilla together until foamy and bubbly.
In a large bowl, whisk flour, cocoa, salt, baking powder, baking soda and chocolate chips (crushed).
Pour wet into dry and use a spatula to combine.
Spoon into a greased 6-donut pan. Bake 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, make icing by whisking the last ingredients together (confectioners sugar, 1 tbsp maple, 1 tsp vanilla and 1-2 tbsp non-dairy milk).
Submerge cooked, but cool, doughnuts into icing and let glaze drip off. Transfer to wire wrack for drying.                                       

No comments:

Post a Comment